I Want to Borrow/Return a Book
There are over 137,000 books available in the Library. You can borrow up to 20 books at once (10 for external users), mostly for 30 days with the possibility of prolongation. When borrowing for the first time, you must have your card unlocked at the circulation desk on the 2nd floor.
I want to borrow a book
You can borrow or reserve books at the circulation desk on the 2nd floor. You can borrow, renew your loans and pay your overdue fines via self-service machine. You can find number of items, due dates, reservations, overdue items and fines here. You can also have a library catalogue and a reader’s account on your mobile — just open katalog.k.utb.cz in your favorite browser.
Glossary of terms:
- Button “RECALL THIS” — you can reserve a book, only if all books with a lending period for 30 days are borrowed. You cannot reserve books with orange label “On-site loan” or journals.
- For 30 days — you can borrow this copy for 30 days (each item can be renewed twice, but renewal is not possible if the item is reserved by another reader)
- For 30 days – depository — books are stored in the depository (archive); in order to borrow them it is necessary to place and order in the catalogue (all documents will be delivered within 15 minutes on all working days until 16.00.)
- For 30 days, checked out until — a books is lent and currently unavailable; the date of the expected return is displayed
- E-books loan — to process your request, click on the “PLACE A HOLD” button
- In-house loan — books for in-house use only (to be used only within the study room), they are not available for loans
- In-house loan – depository — books are stored in the depository (archive) and they are to be used only within the reading room; in order to borrow them it is necessary to place and order in the catalogue (all documents will be delivered within 15 minutes on all working days until 16.00.)
- Long-term loan — copies for TBU employees borrowed on a long-term basis (see location); can be borrowed to other Library users with those conditions
- Specific loan — copies located in a faculty libraries; cannot be borrowed or reserved
- Loan prohibited — non-accessible Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral theses, cannot be borrowed or consulted on-site
- In process — the item is being processed, please check the availability of the item by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Problem with locating the book on shelf? Possible causes:
- The book is covered by other books and not visible.
- The book is misplaced under a different call number; search nearby shelves.
- Someone at the library is currently reading the book.
- The book is on the book cart next to shelves.
- The book has just been returned and is available at the desk.
- The book was stolen (Bad student! Go to your dorm room!).
- The book has been lent (find out how to make a reservation).
I want to return a book
You can return a book in person at the circulation desk on the 2nd floor or using the self-service checkout machine. You can also return your loans by self-service check-in machine which is located on the right side of the ground floor behind the cloakroom. You can return books by arrangement using post service.