We are online with you! All services and resources in one place19. March 2020
We‘ve compiled a list of services and resources we’re making available for you in this grim situation. You can access everything you might need at the moment from the comfort of your home – library services, services for students writing theses, electronic resources (e-books, e-resources and other materials). There is a lot of it, so make sure you don’t miss anything.
I. Library services during the state emergency and emergency measures
Starting Monday, April 20, 2020, we will be lending books from our library again (the library will only work for borrowing ordered books).
- Please direct any questions about loans, prolonging loans, returning books or reserved books at email@example.com or call 57 603 4805 or 57 603 2889 (students from FLCM can send their questions at studovnaUH@k.utb.cz or call 57 603 8071).
- Please direct any questions about Interlibrary Loan (ILL) orders, processing, and pick-ups at firstname.lastname@example.org call 57 603 4904 or 57 603 4804.
II. Library services for students writing theses
We do realize that especially students in their last year of study who are currently working on their bachelor or diploma theses are going through tough times. But don’t despair, we’re here for you. And as Albus Dumbledore says about Hogwarts: “Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.” The same goes for our library. Feel free to write, call, or ask us anything. We will help you if we can. Among online services we have prepared the following for you:
- Updated thesis templates are available on the university website. Just choose your faculty and format (we have prepared templates for Word, OpenOffice or LaTeX),
- Printing and binding of theses have not been affected. Orders can be placed online via the form on the university press website, including all relevant information (only in Czech; in case of any questions, e-mail us at email@example.com or call 57 603 8132).
III. Available electronic resources (e-books, e-resources, etc.)
We managed to make a large number of resources to you online from the comfort of your home. We will keep the list of resources updated.
# Scientific information e-resources (databases)
We currently offer almost a hundred scientific databases containing thousands of articles from reputable scientific journals and e-books. The databases are also available from your home via the Remote Access service at proxy.k.utb.cz.
- use your university account to log in via Single Sign-On (Shibboleth)
- choose a database you want to search from the list of resources
- unless you want to restrict your search to one specific resource, you can use our e-resources search engine directly from our catalogue interface (make sure to log in)
You can check the list of all databases for their descriptions. We currently offer several new resources in Trial Access for you to use in your research:
- Berg Fashion Library — Fashion Photography Archive — Experience the evolution of today’s most iconic designers. Curated by Editor-in-Chief Valerie Steele, Director of the Museum at FIT in New York, this resource showcases more than 775,000 newly-digitized and high-quality images that feature forty years of contemporary fashion history along with a timeline, lesson plans, and videos to create a rich educational resource. More than 100 biographies are available for all Bloomsbury Fashion Central users and provide the perfect starting point for any fashion topic. Includes rare images featuring internationally renowned designers and brands including Alexander McQueen, Christian Dior, Vivienne Westwood, Yohji Yamamoto, Jean Paul Gaultier, Versace, Calvin Klein, Chanel, and many more. Trial Access available until May 31, 2020.
- Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts — Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts combines visual inspiration with practical advice on everything from idea generation and research techniques to portfolio development – making this the ultimate guide to a visual arts education. Browse content from over 170 eBooks by discipline of interest, including Design and Illustration, Fashion and Textiles, Photography, Film and Media, Architecture and Interiors, Marketing and advertising. Explore the Key Topics featured on each discipline homepage, for example within the Design and Illustration page, topics include Designing Brands, Careers and Portfolios, Illustration, or Typography. Trial Access available until May 31, 2020.
- Cambridge Core — Cambridge Core is the home of academic content from Cambridge University Press.
Built with our users in mind our online platform has been designed to help readers and researchers to make fast and easy journeys to a vast range of valuable content. We consulted extensively with almost 10,000 users while developing Cambridge Core to make sure we are providing a platform that meets the needs of our researchers and customers. Cambridge Core is the place to find valuable, useful and inspirational research and academic information. With over 1.6 million journal articles and 36,000+ books, Cambridge Core is the central destination for academic research. Trial access till May 31, 2020.
- Emerald Insight — The home of over 300 journals, 2,500 books, 1,700 cases and a growing collection of open access content from Emerald Publishing. A broad range of subject areas are covered across Emerald eBooks, including mainly Business, Management & Economics, Marketing & public relations and Social Sciences. Trial Access available until May 31, 2020.
- Harvard Business Publishing Collection — The Harvard Business Review Press collection includes the publisher’s complete catalogue of e-books, offering more than 600 existing titles. Trial access till May 31, 2020.
- IGI Global — browse an expanding portfolio of 5,300 reference books containing the latest, peer-reviewed research. Browse over than 220 scholarly journals featured in prestigious indices. This sources covers mainly management, business, computer science and information technology, but also education or public administration. Trial Access available until May 31, 2020.
- JoVE Science Education Video Library — JoVE Science Education is an innovative video database dedicated to teaching the basics via simple and easy-to-understand video demonstrations. Especially useful for undergraduate and postgraduate students, it summarizes the relevant concepts and basic methods. The Science Education database is growing rapidly and serves as an excellent resource for modern and dynamic research-oriented teaching. Trial access until June 15, 2020.
- JSTOR — the famous academic digital library, featuring humanities, social sciences and natural sciences, provides access to over 6,000 e-books and over 150 journals, which are under “open access” without login. Trial access unitl June 30, 2020.
- Taylor & Francis eBooks — the access to the entire collection of Taylor & Francis (more than 140,000 ebooks). There are monographs, books, manuals or textbooks in science, technology, engineering, medicine, humanities and social science, which are led by a global network of editors and authors. Trial Access to the entire collection until May 31, 2020.
# Peter Lang E-book collection
The academic publisher Peter Lang specializes in publishing in humanities and social sciences. The Peter Lang platform offers over 10,000 titles published mainly in the arts, humanities and social sciences. 1,800 new books are published every year. The e-books are available at peterlang.com/ebookaccess.
# De Gruyter E-book collection
De Gruyter offers access to more than 24,000 e-books from all disciplines. The books are sorted by subject groups. After selecting the subject group, you can view the books that are licensed for UTB via the “Accessible Content” section. The collection is available at https://www.degruyter.com/.